Sash Factory (Hamilton Literary and Theological Institution)
According to former University Archivist Howard Williams, in 1832 the Board of Trustees of Hamilton Literary and Theological Institution established a Sash Factory for students to work in. It was intended to promote a productive form of physical activity and possibly generate window sashes for a new building on campus. The factory appears to have ceased operating a little over a year after it was established.
Howard Williams, A History of Colgate, 1819-1869 1819-1869 (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1969), 49, http://cu-cel.org/cuhist/.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
This collection contains one ledger. It includes the Sash Factory's judiciary board minutes and bylaws, which date from 1831-1832. It also includes accounts and notes from William Hosmer Shailer, a member of the Sash Factory, dating from 1838-1851.