Colgate Academy records, A1168
- Creation: 1869-1912
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
According to former University Archivist Howard Williams, a grammar school gradually developed as the program of instruction at Hamilton Literary and Theological Institution expanded in the early nineteenth century. In 1846 it became one of three departments of Madison University, the other two being the collegiate and seminary. In 1873-1874 the preparatory school officially became known as Colgate Academy, began operating more independently, and moved into its own building, built with funds from a gift from James B. Colgate. The school closed in 1912.
Howard Williams, A History of Colgate, 1819-1869 1819-1869 (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1969), 1-2, 182, 196, 273-274, http://cu-cel.org/cuhist/.
3.3 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- Guide to the Colgate Academy records
- Sharlene Disla, Sara Klik, and Allyson Smally
- March 13, 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries Repository
13 Oak Drive
Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology
Hamilton New York 13346 United States US