Skip to main content

Colgate University Libraries records, A1208

 Collection
Identifier: A1208

Scope and Contents

The Colgate University Libraries records contain a wide range of material documenting the libraries, their collections, and the work of librarians at Colgate and its predecessor institutions, Hamilton Literary and Theological Institution and Madison University. Included are planning documents, policies, and reports; collections inventories; handbooks and manuals for students, faculty, and library staff; newsletters and programs for library events; and a significant amount on building renovations, including floor plans and planning documents. Around half of the collection documents the work of the Science Library, known today as Cooley Science Library.

Dates

  • 1802 - 2016

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research; however, special restrictions apply to portions of this collection in accordance with the Colgate University Archives policy on restricted records. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives for further information.

Historical note

The history of the Colgate University libraries dates to 1820, when 31 donors contributed around 400 books and pamphlets to the school, which at the time was still known as Hamilton Literary and Theological Association. The library was located in West College until around 1860, when it was moved to Alumni Hall. In the earliest years of the school, student contributions and donors played an important role in maintaining the library collection. Student societies and organizations often maintained their own libraries, which were sometimes later incorporated in to the main university library.

A new library building, James B. Colgate Library, was dedicated in 1891. The library remained there until 1958, when Everett Needham Case Library was completed. Case library has since undergone renovations in 1981 and 2007 and is now known as The Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology.

Howard Williams, "Highlights in the History of the Colgate University Library," January 24, 1969, A1000, Buildings and Grounds collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries. The Charles A. Dana addition to the Everett Needham Case Library dedication materials, 1982, Colgate University Libraries records, Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries.

Extent

8 Cubic Feet

Related Materials

A1000, Buildings and Grounds collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries, contains material on James B. Colgate Hall, Everett Needham Case Library, and Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology.

A1028, Special Collections and University Archives records, Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries, contains the records Special Collections and University Archives, a department of the Libraries.
Title
Guide to the Colgate University Libraries records
Status
Completed
Author
Lisa King and Allyson Smally
Date
April 8, 2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries Repository

Contact:
Case Library
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton 13346 United States US
315-228-6175
315-228-7934 (Fax)