Skip to main content

Waterville Foundry and Manufacturing Company Inc. collection, M2041

Identifier: M2041


  • Creation: circa 1900-1920


Biographical / Historical

The original business, founded by Bachus A. Beardsley in 1837, was focused on iron hopper grinding and they made the mills designed to ground bark for the tanning of leather. In 1887 the son Brace B. Beardsley took over and shifted to iron hopper paint mills. In 1895 the business was purchased by Simpson McLean and Dana Kimball and the named changed to Waterville Foundry and Manufacturing Company. In 1895 they became incorporated under President William G. McLean. The documents in this collection are undated, but are believed to be from a period at the turn of the century when the business was focused on a line of grinding mills and mixers for mixing paints, inks, and chemicals. The equipment was designed for both hand and power operation. It is unclear when the Founry closed, but advertising was found up through 1921.

see also: Waterville, New York; centennial history, 1871-1971. Commemoration of the incorporation of Waterville as a village in the County of Oneida, State of New York, February 10, 1871. [Mary C. Cleary, e̲ḏ. [Waterville, N. Y., Waterville Centennial, Inc., c1971]


0.3 Cubic Feet (1 flat box)

Language of Materials


Guide to the Waterville Foundry and Manufacturing Company Inc. collection
Melissa Hubbard, Emily Hutton-Hughes, and Michelle Smith
December 2013
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries Repository

13 Oak Drive
Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology
Colgate University
Hamilton New York 13346 United States US
315-228-7934 (Fax)