Peter E. McGuire and Joseph L. Kelly papers, M2057
Scope and Contents
The Peter E. McGuire and Joseph L. Kelly papers contain diaries and letters written by Peter McGuire and his brother-in-law Joseph Kelly. The letters are addressed to family members and date from during and after the Civil War. Also included are official military papers, a photograph of Joseph Kelly, a veteran's reunion booklet, and Kelly's obituary.
- 1862 - 1924
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Joseph L. Kelly was born in New York on July 6, 1847. He served with Company G of the 156th New York Volunteer Infantry for over three years during the Civil War. After the war, he came to Hamilton, New York, and attended Colgate Academy for a time. He established and ran a book and stationary store in Hamilton until 1880 and then spent nine years in Utica as a salesman. In 1889, he helped establish the firm Kelly, Bostick, and Mead. Kelly remained involved in the book trade for much of the rest of his life and spent time in Pittsburgh, Utica, and California. He spent many summers in Hamilton and died in Yonkers in January 1924.
Joseph L. Kelly dies at Yonkers,Hamilton Republican, January 10, 1924.
0.1 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Peter E. McGuire and Joseph L. Kelly papers
- Mary Cordaro, Lora J. Davis, and Allyson Smally
- May 8, 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries Repository
13 Oak Drive
Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology
Hamilton New York 13346 United States US