Colgate University Glee Club records, A1304
Scope and Contents
The Colgate University Glee Club records consist mostly of concert programs and photographs, some of which reflect collaborations with other musical groups. The collection also contains material from the club's trips and tours, including posters and a scrapbook from their 1952 European Tour.
- Creation: 1869-1976
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Colgate University's Glee Club traced its origins to the Sacred Music Society established in 1843, and a 1969 press release celebrating their 125th anniversary referred to them as "the oldest campus activity" in operation at the time. For many years the Glee Club was completely student run, but around 1912 the Music Department hired its first full-time faculty member, William Hoerner, and he became the club's director. Thereafter, the Glee Club operated with both faculty and student leadership. In their early years, the Glee Club frequently collaborated with instrumental groups such as the Mandolin Club. Later, in addition to regular performances on campus, they staged concerts with other college vocal groups and toured in the United States and Europe.
"Music hath charm... press release," 1969, A1304, Colgate University Glee Club records, Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries.
.7 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- Guide to the Colgate University Glee Club records
- Sharlene Disla, Lora J. Davis, and Allyson Smally
- March 24, 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries Repository
13 Oak Drive
Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology
Hamilton New York 13346 United States US