Lucien M. Osborn lectures, A1074
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of one notebook containing handwritten lectures of Lucien M. Osborn, as well as programs for various campus events from 1878.
- circa 1878
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Lucien M. Osborn was a longtime professor and administrator at Madison University (later known as Colgate University). He was born in Ashtabula, Ohio, in July 1823, was an 1847 graduate of the college at Madison University, and attended the Seminary from 1847-1848. He earned an AM and LLD from Denison University in 1872 and taught at Hamilton Academy from 1849-1850 and Morrisville from 1850-1851.
Osborn held the following positions at Madison University: principal of grammar school and adjunct professor of mathematics (1851-1853); professor of mathematics (1853-1857); principal of grammar school (1854-1855); professor of mathematics and natural philosophy (1857-1868); acting principal of the grammar school (1863-1864); professor of natural sciences (1868-1877); professor physical sciences (1877-1891); and professor of physics and astronomy (1891-1892). He died in Hamilton on October 6, 1892.
Elmer William Smith, ed. Colgate University General Catalogue, vol. 2, (Hamilton, NY: Colgate University, 1939), 9.
0.05 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- College students -- Social life and customs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lectures. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Professors (teacher) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Science -- Study and teaching. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Lucien M. Osborn lectures
- Mary Cordaro and Allyson Smally
- April 29, 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries Repository
13 Oak Drive
Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology
Hamilton New York 13346 United States US