Colgate University ROTC Program records, A1082
Scope and Contents
This collection contains material from and about the Air Reserve Officer Training Corps program that was at Colgate from 1947 until 1970. The program was often referred to as ROTC instead of Air ROTC or AFROTC and that is reflected in the collection file names and in the materials. The ROTC program materials include materials for students, informational booklets, and program agreements with the Air Force. About half of the collection deals with the ROTC Study Committee, that consisted of four Colgate faculty members that were tasked with studying the impact of ROTC programs on liberal art colleges. A Curriculum committee was also formed to review the ROTC curriculum. Photographs, clipings, and other memorabilia related to the ROTC program are also in this collection.
- 1947-1985, undated
Language of Materials
Materials primarily in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Biographical / Historical
The Colgate University unit of Air Reserve Officer Training Corps was established in 1947 under President Case. It was one of twenty-five programs that were created in the 1947-1948 academic year to expand Air Force units in the ROTC program. The program was discontinued in 1970.
1.96 Cubic Feet (3 letter document boxes, 2 trophies, 1 legal size folder, and 1 oversized folder with a flag)
Material in this collection is arranged in three series.
- Aeronautics, Military -- Study and teaching -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agreements. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student publications. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Curricula. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Colgate University ROTC program records
- Under Revision
- Sarah Keen, Erin Patterson
- March 13, 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Colgate University Libraries Repository
13 Oak Drive
Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology
Hamilton New York 13346 United States US